Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
The follow up stage is your first marketing email with a customer after they make a purchase. It's important in defining your ongoing relationship with a customer: expressing your appreciation for their purchase, solidifying your brand message, and preparing them for future purchases by promoting additional offerings from your brand.
Who receives the Follow Up email?
Every time a customer makes a purchase they will be scheduled to receive a follow up email.
When will the Follow Up email send?
Follow Up sends on the date specified in your cortex account settings. The default send time is the third day after the customer's most recent purchase. You can find the setting under Cortex Settings (see here).
How do Follow Up Product Recommendations work?
For Follow Up emails, the first recommendation will be an item the customer has recently purchased, and the subsequent recommendations are based on items similar to or often purchased with the first product recommendation.
You can learn more about adding dynamic product recommendations to your Follow Up emails here.
Follow Up email best practices
Keep in mind the following when building your Follow Up email:
- Use strong branding to reinforce the appeal
- Reinforce your brand's key value proposition
- Use a minimum of 3 dynamic recommendations per template
- Remind the shopper of any standard incentive (i.e. "free shipping on all purchases")
- Do not include an incentive as this can devalue your brand
- Use segmentation to alter your messaging
Set up your Follow Up email
- Under the Cortex menu on the left, click Stages.
- Under the "User Events" tab, click the Follow Up block.
- Click New email > Create new.
Follow these steps for setting up your new email.