Please click here if you are using the legacy version of Cortex.
This article is part of the Cortex Stage Guide. For the Subscription Cortex Stage Guide click here.
Search Abandon is one of the most carefully targeted Cortex stages, and converts very well due to the engagement level of the targeted users and accuracy of the recommendations.
Who receives the Search Abandon email?
Search Abandon is activated after a user visits your online store, searches a word or phrase, and does not convert. The search phrase must also match keywords in product names or descriptions in the item catalog, otherwise Cortex will default back to Browse Abandon. Search abandon will also be cancelled if you send a promo blast on that day.
When will the Search Abandon email send?
Search Abandon usually sends the next day, according to the user's best time to contact. If the user does not qualify for a different Cortex stage, Search Abandon will follow up at the user's best interval over a 2-week period.
How do Search Abandon Product Recommendations work?
Cortex uses language recognition to identify search terms that match product names and descriptions on your web store. It balances user preferences and search term accuracy to recommend a set of product recommendations unique to each user and matching search term.
You can learn more about adding dynamic product recommendations to your Search Abandon emails here.
Search Abandon email best practices
Keep in mind the following when building your Search Abandon email:
- Address the customer directly: you know they were looking!
- Use a minimum of 3 dynamic recommendations per template
- Use language that reflects your brand and inspires engagement
- Remind the shopper of any standard incentive (i.e. "free shipping on all purchases")
- Do not include a special discount or incentive
Set up your Search Abandon email
- Under the Cortex menu on the left, click Stages.
- Under the "User Events" tab, click the Search Abandon block.
- Click New email > Create new.
Follow these steps for setting up your new email.